Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Moms' Club Picnic

I took Evan to the Moms' Club picnic today, at Will Rogers State Park near Santa Monica. The picnic was nice and a great chance to meet other moms in the club I have joined (along with the dads). I got to see live polo being played for the first time, too.

Evan did just fine but was a bit overwhelmed with the crowd and all there was to see. He also got two head wounds - one from falling in the dirt and one from a stick (he and another kid wanted the same stick and it seems Evan lost). These "wounds" were just scrapes really, and Evan took it all pretty much in stride.

My big observation is that as dad member of the Mom's club, I was naturally assigned a "dad" job (grilling). What did not dawn on me immediately was that all the other dads had a mom around to help watch the kids. I, on the other hand, was challenged with grilling and watching Evan simultaneously. So, from now on I need to remember what "hat" I'm wearing in a given situation and make sure I don't get take on too much.