Monday, August 6, 2007

Maybe I'm figuring it out

Though I had my doubts, I think I may finally be getting this parenting thing figured out. It seems I'm actually learning how to be a parent and get things done without going crazy. Case in point is this evening, when I looked at the clock and reflected on all I had done between 3:45, when Evan woke up from his nap, and 8:00, the then current time. Here's the list:

- Got Evan up
- Fed Evan a snack and a few drinks
- Saw out the full drama of the potato chip clip and the pinched finger
- Cooked (not merely heated) dinner for Evan and myself
- Walked the dog
- Watered the garden/lawn
- Washed the car
- Changed two diapers
- Ate dinner with Evan and gave Evan seconds and thirds and fourths
- Did and put away breakfast, lunch, and dinner dishes (all handwashed)
- Made/received a few calls
- Did a bit of work and checked e-mail
- Horsed around with Evan
- Videotaped Evan trying to shoot baskets while wearing flip flops 9 sizes to big

In the ensuing 45 minutes, I
- Took a 15 minute call with relative
- Gave Evan a bath
- Took a shower
- Gave Evan his milk
- Helped Evan brush his teeth
- Put Evan to bed

Yes, parenting keeps one busy but it seems that it does get better with practice. It used to take me an hour just to get us ready to leave the house.